Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Copyright and YouTube back on the Warpath

Hey Guys! Wow what a week. University has gone back and its time to figure out just how in trouble I am with assignments and the such.
But thats not the most pressing news, lend my your ears young ones and I shall tell you of a tale so predictable you will most liekly run into it time and again in your life. I refer to, of course, Copyright.
Now, now. I am not starting off on a rant about copyright being bad or anything, I mean credit where credit is due right? Besides, I wouldnt want anyone copying my work, and copyright helps me stop that.
The issue I am having is with the distribution right of trailers, you know, the little minute clips edited together to give people an idea about a movie/game/animation and maybe an idea if they would like to try it out.
Now form what i understand, companies construct these trailers to give like, a little preview of the series, as such it is free, widely distributed and is found on many DVDs, internet sites and the such.
Now you would thing that if something is FREE, and its already WIDELY DISTRIBUTED, then it should be FREE for me to WIDELY DISTRIBUTE it as well, just as long as im doing it for FREE. You see where im going with this right? Same concept applies to the some 70 trailers found on my youtube account.
Ive had very little issue with these, only a few have brought up notices to check them for copyrighted material (some 5 of the 70, which would mean 75 attempted uploads), and ive immediately deleted them if that notice did come up. I though this would help me avoid any unnecicary strife.
Well...I WAS WRONG! Turns out today my trailer for 'Baki the Grappler' was taken down for copyright by someone by the name of [insert random japanese characters here]. Now, if it ACTUALLY is the company who made Baki the Grappler, and its simply their wish to have me take it down, I would have been happy to. In fact, if they had just asked me to take it down via a message or something, happy to. If I had uploaded a full episode, a dubbing session, something you can only find by PURCHASING THE DISC I would be happy to. But it was the trailer, something FREE given to me that I cant give away.
It was a relitively popular clip to (some 20,000 views, most likely because of the 360 game release) so I would think they would appreciate all the free publicity.
So what am I getting at here with this? Simply put, if they can take that down pretty much ANYTHING is up for deletion, and I have no idea if ill even have an account next time I get back on youtube. There are a few things on there that are definately not infringing copyright in anyway (game reviews, convention videos etc) but if I get infringed a couple more times ill be permanently banned from youtube.
SO whats the plan then? Even if  get banned ill probably just start up another account under a different name (like instead of animereviewguy, it will be anime-review-guy) or the such. Ive already hooked up my blip.tv account to youtube so my game reviews will always be on both sites regardless, so not that hige of a thing, just a relitive pain over something so minor.
Anyway thats about it on that topic, now on to some more exciting things!
My next game review for Chobits on PS2 is chugging along nicely. Ive gotten through a playthrough or two and got my sound effects and camera stuff done, now all thats left is to write the script, record and put it all together. Im thinking a release of 08/20/10 wouldnt be asking too much.
Cosmic-Comics seems to be having trouble uploading my reviews so ill put the next one up here, review for Genshiken. Ill be putting that up tomorrow (08/12/10) to celebrate my 22nd BIRTHDAY!
And well thats about it for now. I've been caught up in a Christopher Nolan Watch-a-thon Marathon, getting through all his movies I can get my hands on and ive only got one left, the Prestige. Ill probably do this again once Dark Knight 3 is on the horizon, but 2012 is the end of the world so I hope he hurries up.
All the best guys! Catch ya all round next time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment